What does this mean for WordPress users?
Is this just for WordPress.com accounts?
Calypso in its own most basic form is simply an editor and an RSS reader for WordPress.com sites. But you’re also covered if you wanted to set up Calypso on your self hosted site. All you have to do is add the Jetpack plugin, and once enabled, you can manage your content using the Calypso web app, desktop app or mobile app. So for standard WordPress users, Calypso doesn’t change a lot, since it does the same things just in a prettier and more powerful way, but you may benefit from an easier navigation and content editor.
What does Calypso mean for a WordPress Developer?
We have already seen changes come through in the WordPress 4.4 update late last year which integrated the REST API in the WordPress core.
It’s great to see a potential new beginning for WordPress Developers, and it’s exciting to see what’s to come in the future. As Matt Mullenweg says, “This is a beginning, not an ending. (1.0 is the loneliest.) Better things are yet to come, as all of you dig in”.
Useful links and resources
- Download the Mac desktop app, or sign up to be notified about Windows or Linux.
- Learn about Calypso from the developer’s point of view.
- See the user announcement on WordPress.com.
- Browse the GitHub repository.
- Hear about the backstory from Calypso’s lead, Andy Peatling.